Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Fri October 25, 2013
Twitter Announces Share Price Range For IPO
Originally published on Fri October 25, 2013 6:43 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with the price of a tweet.
(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)
INSKEEP: Twitter announced late yesterday that share prices for its hotly anticipated initial public offering will be between 17 and $20, far less than what many analysts were predicting the social media site would list for. With 70 million shares up for sale, the offering should raise about $1.4 billion. And according to The Wall Street Journal, this would value Twitter at about $11 billion total.
May sound like a lot but its small fraction of the current market value of Facebook, for example. The lower price may signal that Twitter wants to avoid the share price dip that came after Facebook's IPO last spring. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.