Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Sun May 26, 2013
Clarification Please: Why Do We Still Have Spelling Bees?
Originally published on Sun May 26, 2013 5:25 pm
One hundred years ago, 28 congressmen and Washington reporters faced off in a spelling bee the New York Times then described as "old-fashioned." But if spelling bees were already old-fashioned at the turn of the last century, how have they had such staying power? Weekends on All Things Considered host Jacki Lyden talks with Peter Sokolowski, Merriam-Webster's editor at large and a longtime spelling bee pronouncer.