Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
Fri August 15, 2014
Documents Reveal Slain Teen Was Robbery Suspect
Originally published on Fri August 15, 2014 7:14 pm
Documents revealed by police in Ferguson say Michael Brown, the unarmed 18-year-old shot by police, was a suspect in a robbery in a convenience store, shortly before the shooting.
Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson also named the police officer responsible for shooting Brown: Darren Wilson. The killing sparked six days of protests and clashes with police, as well as vigils around the country.
Officer Darren Wilson is said to have been on the force in Ferguson for six years with no prior disciplinary action. Wilson was among the officers responding to a “strong-arm” robbery, meaning a robbery in which force was used, at a local convenience mart.