FEMA disaster assistance deadline extended

Oct 20, 2016

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved a 31-day extension for applications. Residents now have until Jan. 9, 2017, to register with FEMA. The extension also applies to homeowners, renters and businesses submitting applications for low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.  Registration is open in 45 counties.

 Mac McKee speaks with FEMA Media Relations Specialist Nate Custer about what types of assistance are available to residents in eastern North Carolina and how they can get help. 

For more information on FEMA's major disaster designation for North Carolina and how to get recovery assistance, go to: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4285 


How to Replace Documents Lost in the Recent Flooding Caused by Hurricane Matthew

Events such as the flooding caused by Hurricane Matthew commonly result in the loss of important documents. North Carolinians can use the following resources to replace lost or damaged documents and records.

SNAP Card (Food Stamps): 1-866-719-0141

Website: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/dss/local-county-social-services-offices

EBT Card: 888-622-7328

Website: http://www.ebtcardbalance.com/north-carolina-lost-ebt-card-el27

N.C. Birth and Death Certificates: 919-733-3000

Website: http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/order.htm

N.C. Marriage Certificate: 919-733-3000

Website: http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/order.htm

N.C. Driver License: 919-715-7000

Website: http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/replace-license.php

Vehicle Titles: 919-715-7000

Website: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/replacement/

Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes: 877-275-3342

Website: www.fdic.gov

Credit Cards: Contact the issuing institution:

Credit Reports (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion):  877-322-8228

Website:  www.annualcreditreport.com

Social Security Card: 800-772-1213

Website:  www.ssa.gov

Medicare Cards: 800-772-1213

Website: www.socialsecurity.gov/medicarecard/

Green Card: 800-375-5283
Website: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/replace-green-card

Passport: 877-487-2778

Website: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/lost-stolen.html  

U.S. Savings Bonds:  800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663

Website: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/

Tax Returns: 800-829-1040

Website: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Military Records: 866-272-6272

Website: www.archives.gov/contact/

Insurance Documents: Contact your own insurance agent 

Real Estate & Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.): Contact your own real estate agent

Website: http://propertydeeds.org/lost-property-deed-replacement-procedure/

Medical and Prescription Records: 
Call your own doctor; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.

Other Family Records:

Website: http://www.archives.gov/preservation/disaster-response/guidelines.html

Individuals, including homeowners, renters, and business owners, in the designated counties who suffered loss or damages due to Hurricane Matthew may register for assistance online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling  1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), the number is also 1-800-621-3362.  For people using TTY, the number is 1-800-462-7585.