Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
Thu July 24, 2014
Judge To Bulldog Thief: 'You Hid The Pup; The Jig Was Up'
Originally published on Thu July 24, 2014 7:39 am
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Renee Montagne with a story of the man sentenced to prison by the way of a poem.
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
This was after he stole a bulldog puppy from its owners at gunpoint. The judge wrote a rhyming verdict, sending him to the joint.
MONTAGNE: With this doggerel, the Oregon judge may have inflicted a secondary judgment.
INSKEEP: (Reading) You lied and lied, I can't put that aside. It was your car. You went too far.
MONTAGNE: (Reading) You hid the pup. The jig is up. You got rid of the gun. Your game is done.
INSKEEP: Oh, my goodness is that really - OK, anyway.
MONTAGNE: It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.