Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Live At The Village Vanguard
Fri May 31, 2013
Kenny Barron Quintet: Live At The Village Vanguard
Originally published on Fri June 20, 2014 3:07 pm
Among jazz musicians, especially in New York City, pianist Kenny Barron is considered an institution. He spent years in bands led by the likes of Dizzy Gillespie, Yusef Lateef and Stan Getz, and brings that wisdom to every note. He's put out dozens of albums, continues to write new music, and turns up in classrooms and on concert stages throughout the city. And he continues to play brilliantly, with clarity and ebullience alike — his latest album pairs him with an all-Brazilian band.
For his 70th birthday week, Barron's band is playing another jazz institution: the Village Vanguard. Included in the repertoire are songs by the late Mulgrew Miller, another pianist of gentle temperament and profound capability. WBGO and NPR Music presented a live video webcast and radio broadcast of the Kenny Barron Quintet.
- "5/4 Blues" (Barron)
- "Second Thoughts" (Mulgrew Miller)
- "Mariposa de Sueño" (Samora Pinderhughes)
- "Rain, Rain" (Barron)
- "DPW" (Barron)
- Kenny Barron, piano
- Vincent Herring, alto saxophone
- Brandon Lee, trumpet
- Kiyoshi Kitagawa, bass
- Lee Pearson, drums