Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Mon February 17, 2014
NBC's Olympic Coverage Powered By Starbucks
Originally published on Mon February 17, 2014 7:57 am
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm David Green. Under Olympic rules, only official sponsors are allowed to sell coffee at the Winter Games in Sochi. Starbucks is not one of them. But NBC, the exclusive U.S. broadcaster of the Games, found a loophole and constructed a secret Starbucks in its media center. The network has flown in barristas to staff its operation. Other members of the press are envious. Our own Sonari Glinton trailed a journalist carrying a contraband drink only to learn that this too was an NBC exclusive. You're listening to MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.