Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Updated Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Predicts Below Normal Season
Mon April 7, 2014
NOAA Beaufort Lab Faces Possible Closure
The NOAA Lab in Beaufort is involved with collecting and analyzing data on marine mammal species, assessing fish stocks, and working to understand the Atlantic ecosystem. But this important institution for marine science discoveries could soon close. The Department of Commerce has requested the lab to be shutdown as a cost cutting measure when they outlined their budget for fiscal year 2015. As a result of the closure, years of research could be lost and more than 100 jobs at the Beaufort lab cut. Public Radio East's Mac McKee speaks with former employee Pat Tester about the contributions of the NOAA Lab to the marine science community.