Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Fri September 20, 2013
Substance Abuse Prevention Event in New Bern
The non-profit Coastal Coalition for Substance Abuse and Prevention was formed in 2007 after a United Way survey of community leaders in 2006 revealed the most important health issues in Carteret, Craven, Jones and Pamlico revolved around substance abuse. Onslow County later joined the initiative because of their high number of alcohol related car crashes. Programs from this non-profit seek to curb substance abuse and are ongoing. Today, Mac Mckee talks to Shirin Scotten with the Coastal Coalition for Substance Abuse and Prevention about the organization, its goals and a public education event set for Monday evening, September 23rd in New Bern.