Most Active Stories
Around the Nation
Fri November 8, 2013
'Tell Me More' Invites You To Join #TMMStLouis And Engage Around The Gateway City
Originally published on Fri November 8, 2013 2:46 pm
Tell Me More with Michel Martin is on the road in the Gateway City, broadcasting from St. Louis Public Radio today from 11 am ET-12 pm ET. We'll talk about how a new school transfer program is exposing divisions across race and class lines, and why St. Louis has moved to the head of the class in the chess world. Plus, we'll have a special edition of our signature Barbershop roundtable! We are covering the hour Live on Twitter using #TMMSTLouis. If you'd like to share your thoughts on what St. Louis means to you, you can send us a tweet. Just follow us on @TellMeMoreNPR.
EDUCATION: What happens when a school district becomes unaccredited? In Missouri, the state supreme court says that those districts must pay for those students to go elsewhere, if their parents decide that is what they want. Host Michel Martin delves into the issue with Don Marsh of KWMU, Ty McNichols the superintendent of Normandy School District and Eric Knost, Superintendent of Mehville School District.
ST. LOUIS CHESS: Celebrities like Josephine Baker and Yogi Berra might have made St. Louis famous for art and sport, but another past time is putting the city on the map. Known to many as the Chess Capital of the world, St. Louis' chess scene is booming. Host Michel Martin speaks with national master Charles Lawton, who is also a St. Louis native.
BARBERSHOP: We're joined by writer Jimi Izrael from WCPN in Cleveland. The rest of the Barbershop guys will be in St. Louis: commentator Arsalan Iftikhar; Christopher Ave, political editor of St. Louis Post-Dispatch; and Tell Me More Editor Ammad Omar.
- Twitter Chat Moderator: (@TellMeMoreNPR) Davar Ardalan; Tell Me More senior producer and moderator of #TMMStLouis Twitter chat. Also on @idavar
- Twitter Chat Producer: (@_Amita_) Amita Parashar, Tell Me More Editor
- Participant: (@NPREmily) Emily Ochsenschlager, Tell Me More Producer in St. Louis
- Participant: (@TheRealAmmadO) Ammad Omar, Tell Me More Editor in St. Louis
- Participant: (@stlpublicradio) St. Louis Public Radio
- Participant: (@KelseyProud) Kelsey Proud, St. Louis Public Radio Online Producer
- Participant: (@timjeby) Tim Eby, St. Louis Public Radio General Manager
- Participant: (@ChristopherAve) Christopher Ave, St. Louis Post Dispatch Political Editor
- Participant: (@PoetreeProject) Henry Goldkamp, poet in St. Louis
- Participant: (@STLImprovAnywr) Mallory Nezam, STL Improv Anywhere Founding Director
- Participant: (@alexheuer) Alex Heuer, St. Louis Public Radio Talk Show Producer
- Participant: (@michaelschrand) Mike Schrand, St. Louis Public Radio Producer