Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Tue June 11, 2013
WATCH: An Orca Steals A Fisherman's Catch
Originally published on Tue June 11, 2013 10:46 am
Both of those videos showed a shark swooping in and quickly stealing a fish caught on a line. Today, we bring you a more refined version of this genre.
On its Facebook page, an outdoors news site called The Alaska Life posted a video of an orca stealing a halibut from a fisherman's line. Unlike the sharks, the killer whale actually takes its time, surfacing a couple of times before scarfing down the fish. WARNING: There is an expletive at the beginning of the video:
GrindTv, which tipped us off to the video, says that it looks like the fishermen knew the orca was around. What isn't clear is whether they were "purposely trying to entice the orca with the hooked fish, as fishermen sometimes do with sharks."