Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Mon May 20, 2013
WATCH: A Train Wreck Of A 'Star-Spangled Banner' Performance
Originally published on Mon May 20, 2013 6:27 pm
Imagine: You're tapped to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Memorial Cup, a Canadian hockey tournament being held in Saskatoon. Midway through, you realize you don't know the words. What do you do?
Well, on Saturday, the Canadian jazz singer Alexis Normand decided to just keep going and mumble the rest. It's cringe-inducing, but also really funny. Watch:
Normand, by the way, sent this tweet shortly after her performance:
"I'm embarrassed and deeply sorry. I wish I'd had more time to learn the American anthem. Thanks so much for the crowd's help! #memorialcup"
Salon gives her some solace. It rounds up the "worst national anthem fails." Among them: Michael Bolton, who had to stop midway to read the lyrics off his hand.