Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Updated Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Predicts Below Normal Season
Mon April 7, 2014
Down East Walk To Defeat ALS
A groundbreaking study into what may cause ALS was recently released by a researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Maddison. According to ScienceDaily.com, scientists pinpointed an error in protein formation that could be the root of ALS. Commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig Disease, ALS is a progressive degenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Raising funds for ongoing research is part of the reason for next weekend's Down East Walk to Defeat ALS in Greenville. The non-profit Jim "Catfish" Hunter Chapter hopes to educate the public with the event which will help fund research and connect families who are affected by the disease. Mikel Peterson has more.