Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
The Checkout: Live
Mon March 18, 2013
Tiny Resistors: Live From 92Y Tribeca
Originally published on Mon June 23, 2014 9:40 am
Bassist Todd Sickafoose is heard often in two cities — his native San Francisco Bay Area and his adopted New York City. Ani DiFranco fans know his sound, too, as he worked with the singer-songwriter for the better part of a decade. In 2008, he released Tiny Resistors, a lushly textured record that put him on the map as a composer and bandleader. Swamped in horns and violin and twin guitars and rock rhythms, Tiny Resistors the band has become an expansive compositional outlet for Sickafoose.
Tiny Resistors followed Stephan Crump's Rosetta Trio on stage at 92Y Tribeca in downtown New York, as part of the WBGO concert series The Checkout: Live. WBGO and NPR Music presented a live radio broadcast and online video webcast of both sets. For the full concert archive of this series, visit npr.org/checkoutlive.
All compositions by Todd Sickafoose
- "Storm Rattle"
- "Ceiling Fan In A Spoon"
- "Kora Song"
- "Bye Bye Bees"
- "Blues For Dan Morris"
- "Everyone Is Going"
- Todd Sickafoose, bass
- Jenny Scheinman, violin
- John Ellis, tenor saxophone/clarinets
- Alan Ferber, trombone
- Steve Cardenas, guitar
- Jonathan Goldberger, guitar
- Ted Poor, drums