Most Active Stories
- Controversy Over Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge Continues
- Deep Water Shipwreck Discovered Off North Carolina Coast
- The Front Bottoms, 'Laugh Till I Cry'
- Clinton Won't Go As Far As Rivals On Minimum Wage Or Rule Out Oil Pipelines
- Artifacts From Bertie County Site May Help Solve Centuries Old Mystery
Sun July 21, 2013
When Thieves Don't Appreciate The Art They Steal
Originally published on Sun July 21, 2013 5:58 pm
Wednesday, Romanian officials said a pile of ashes had been discovered in the home of an art thief's mother. They are believed to be all that remains of seven masterpieces by Picasso, Matisse and others, stolen from a Rotterdam gallery last fall. Host Jacki Lyden talks with Robert Wittman, former director of the FBI Art Crimes Unit, about this theft and the profitability of art heists in the Internet age.